If you have a dog or dogs who spend a considerable amount of time outside, a doghouse can provide much-needed shelter to keep your pup safe and dry from harsh weather conditions.
As you decide on a style of doghouse to build, you’ll need to consider different roof designs, including flat, pitched, and slanted. Unlike a pitched roof that has two roof sections, a slanted-roof doghouse has one long roof piece that’s set at an angle to the ground. The slanted shape works well in places that tend to be rainy and/or snowy by allowing moisture to slide off the lower side.
To help you create the best slanted-roof doghouse, we’ve collected 10 free and easy-to-DIY plans in a variety of design styles, from basic to decorative. We’ve listed the tools and the supplies you’ll need to better help you prepare. With woodworking knowledge, you’ll be able to construct an awesome slanted-roof doghouse for your beloved pooch.
1. Dog House With Deck by Jen Woodhouse and Woodshop Diaries
This adorable slanted-roof doghouse comes with a sun deck for your dog to lounge on pleasant days and a slanted roof angled to the back for inclement weather. Jenn Woodhouse teamed up with Woodshop Diaries to share this cute and durable design. To gain access to the free plans, you’ll need to enter your email address at Jenn Woodhouse’s site, which registers you to receive the free House of Wood newsletter.
- Portable Jig for creating pocket-hole joints
- Secure positioning with anti-slip base and included clamp adapter
2. Modern Insulated Dog House by DIYTyler
For a warm, sturdy doghouse with a removable slanted roof for your small dog, DIYTyler offers free plans. You can either watch the included instructional video on how to assemble this doghouse or enter your email address to receive the full set of free plans.
- HEAVY DUTY UTILITY KNIFE: Metal, durable design with rubber grip allows for a long lasting,...
- RETRACTABLE & ADJUSTABLE BLADE: Razor simply slides open to 3 different blade lengths for exact...
3. Large Dog House Plans by Construct 101
If you own a large dog, you’re obviously going to need a large doghouse built from large doghouse plans. Construct 101 offers plans for a sturdy, slanted-roof doghouse that’s the perfect size for, well, a large dog.
- 3.5 amp motor creates cuts up to six inches deep and 9-3/4 inches wide
- Uses 72-inch blades anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2 inches in size
4. Large Dog House Plans by My Outdoor Plans
For an oversized slanted-roof doghouse, My Outdoor Plans provides detailed building plans. From a thorough list of cuts and supplies to step-by-step instructions with precise measurements, these plans will help you create a functional yet stylish large doghouse.
- CORDLESS AIR COMPRESSOR: The BTFP02012 is at 6 gallons, 150PSI, and 2.6SCFM with a high efficiency...
- BRAD NAILER: The SB-1850BN drives 18-gauge Brad Nails from 5/8" to 2" for a wide variety of...
5. Doghouse Plans From the Asheville Humane Society
The Ashville Humane Society put together easy-to-follow plans for a classic slanted-roof doghouse that has an offset door and a windbreak. Unlike other plans, you can customize the size of this doghouse to the size of your dog. All the measurements offer a mathematical formula to include your dog’s length.
- Power and Durability: 15 Amp, 4,000 Rpm Motor
- Miter Detent Plate Improves Productivity and Ensures Cutting Accuracy: Adjustable Stainless Steel...
6. DIY Dog House Plans by Ancient Pathways, LLC
This simple slanted-roof doghouse by Ancient Pathways provides an insulated shelter for dogs who spend most of their time outdoors. Based on a design intended for sled dogs, the main housing is raised off the ground and has a small, offset door opening that allows for better protection during unpleasant weather conditions.
- Powerful 15-amp motor delivers 5,300-RPM for greater speed and faster cuts
- 7-1/4-in carbide-tipped blade included. Spindle lock for easy blade changes.
7. Mini Ranch House for Your Pooch From Sunset
This ranch-style doghouse from Sunset has an eye-appealing design. The plans come with a complete list of tools and supplies, detailed illustrations, and thorough building instructions.
- Ideal for drilling through or screwing in wood, metal, and plastic, soft grip handle provides added...
- The lithium ion battery holds a charge for up to 18 months
8. Mobile Dog House From Instructables Living
With a slanted roof and a boxed-shaped design, this doghouse from Instructables Living has a classic look. Although the plans are not especially detailed, it does offer a smart idea on how to add wheels to your doghouse for mobility. Instructables Living provides tips for customizing the dimension of your doghouse to your dog’s size requirements.
- Steel half-barrel (also called cradle) frame caulking gun for 1/10-gal. cartridges
- Thrust ratio of 10:1 for use with low viscosity materials
9. How to Build a Custom Insulated Dog House From Ron Hazelton
With video clips to explain each step, this slanted-roof doghouse design from Ron Hazelton can be built to fit any size dog. It includes insulation to better protect your pooch against the elements. The two-room design allows for one space exposed to the open door and the other area designated to be warm and cozy.
- Magnesium components create a lightweight saw (10.6 pounds) that is well balanced and jobsite tough
- Powerful 15.0 AMP motor delivers 5,800 RPM for proven performance and jobsite durability
10. Double Dog House by My Outdoor Plans
If you own two dogs, why not build a double doghouse? My Outdoor Plans offers a simple design with a slanted roof that comfortably accommodates both of your dogs. The floor of this doghouse is lifted off the ground.
- Ideal for drilling into wood, metal plastic and all screw driving tasks
- Chuck Size: 3/8 inch; Clutch Setting: 11; Included Components: (1) LDX120 Drill/Driver, (1) LBX20...
- 1. Dog House With Deck by Jen Woodhouse and Woodshop Diaries
- 2. Modern Insulated Dog House by DIYTyler
- 3. Large Dog House Plans by Construct 101
- 4. Large Dog House Plans by My Outdoor Plans
- 5. Doghouse Plans From the Asheville Humane Society
- 6. DIY Dog House Plans by Ancient Pathways, LLC
- 7. Mini Ranch House for Your Pooch From Sunset
- 8. Mobile Dog House From Instructables Living
- 9. How to Build a Custom Insulated Dog House From Ron Hazelton
- 10. Double Dog House by My Outdoor Plans