I’ve personally never met anybody who doesn’t like dogs. I mean what is there to dislike? They’re wide-eyed, adorable creatures, with the ability to only love and care for people.
This is why the choice to purchase a dog is damn exciting.
You’re not just investing in an extra thing to worry about in your life, but a new friend who will cherish you and expect nothing more but the same.
A dog is a new friend, in addition to your family or the beginning of a new journey in your life. It’s a beautiful creature, that signifies a beautiful milestone.
The Peruvian Inca Orchid, otherwise known as the Peruvian Hairless Dog, is quite a unique canine. It is loving but sensitive and requires indoor accommodation.
It comes in two types: the hairless and the powderpuff. It is said that these dogs were introduced to Peru from either China or Africa.
It’s an obscure dog but it is one that will love you and cherish your commitment to its needs.
In this guide, I will detail all the necessary information on the Peruvian Inca Orchid, and the things you need to know before purchasing one.
This is a particularly unique dog, and it has a particularly unique set of needs, so it is important to read through this guide thoroughly.
I will go through its temperament, physical needs, and diet, as well as a plethora of other things. Are you interested in this particular canine?
Then read on to find out more about the Peruvian Inca Orchid.
Peruvian Inca Orchid: Before You Buy
There are several things you need to consider when buying a dog, especially one like the Peruvian Inca Orchid.
The decisions you make before you welcome this dog into your house can affect your happiness and the dog’s happiness.
So make sure to make these decisions carefully.
Some things you may need to consider before bringing the Peruvian Inca Orchid into your life include:
- Whether or not you have space. The Peruvian Inca Orchid has incredibly sensitive skin and needs to live inside for safety. Make sure you provide a spacious environment indoors for it to be comfortable.
- Whether or not you have time to socialize. The Peruvian Inca Orchid needs socialization and attention from an early age for it to not suffer from conditions such as depression.
- What color you want. You need to choose a color preference before heading to the breeder.
- What gender you want.
- Spaying/Neutering preferences. Because the Peruvian Inca Orchid is mostly an indoor dog, this isn’t necessarily vital, but it is a decision you have to make carefully.
How Much is a Peruvian Inca Orchid Puppy?
Budget is a make or break factor for the most owners, and will signify the size and breed of dog that they get.
The Peruvian Inca Orchid is a considerable cost-effective dog, averaging around $400-$600 a puppy. This is incredibly cheap for most medium-sized breeds.
How Do I Find a Reputable Peruvian Inca Orchid Breeder?
A Peruvian Inca Orchid breeder has to be particularly careful when it comes to working with these dogs.
A Peruvian Inca Orchid breeder should have:
- A spacious, enclosed space for the dog. This medium breed needs space to stretch and play, but it also needs to be inside due to its sensitivity to the sun. If a breeder is keeping the Peruvian Inca Orchid outside, report them immediately.
- Emphasis on socialization. A breeder needs to talk with this dog from its birth in order to ensure it settles into households without any anxiety or destructive behavior.
- Knowledge of the breed. This is a given, if the breeder knows nothing about the Peruvian Inca Orchid, don’t purchase it from them.
- Assistance. This is a dog you have to be careful raising, and a reputable breeder should ensure you have the information and tools to go about bringing this dog into your house efficiently.
3 Little-Known Facts About the Peruvian Inca Orchid.
- The Peruvian Inca Orchid used to be known as the Flower Dog.
- There is evidence that suggests the Peruvian Inca Orchid has been around since 300 BC.
- Tribes in Peru such as the Inca would use their urine and feces in medicines and elixirs.
The Physical Traits of the Peruvian Inca Orchid
The Peruvian Inca Orchid has a very distinct look.
The hairless type is as the name suggests, while the powderpuff has hair everywhere with a thick, double coat.
The hairless variety of the Peruvian Inca Orchid will typically range through skin colors of pink, tan, brown-black, or grey.
The powderpuff version’s coat will range from a variety of colors including black, white, grey and brown.
They have brown eyes, a black nose, a lack of teeth and a slim torso.
How Big is a Full-Grown Peruvian Inca Orchid?
The Peruvian Inca Orchid can vary in size extensively.
They can grow anywhere from 10 inches long, all the way to 25 inches long, which makes it hard to signify whether it’s a small, medium or large breed.
Usually, however, they fizzle out around the 15-20 inch range.
In terms of weight, it can be anywhere between 8-55 pounds, with it usually landing on the larger side of the scale.
It is recommended because of the size that you don’t leave it unsupervised around small children, due to safety reasons.
What is the Life Expectancy of the Peruvian Inca Orchid?
The Peruvian Inca Orchid will live up to anywhere between 11-12 years, which is below the average lifespan for most medium-sized breeds.
Due to its sensitivity to both the heat and cold, it is hard to maintain a Peruvian Inca Orchid and keep an eye on its health.
So it is important always to pay close attention to detail and look out for any symptoms that could allude to illness for the dog.
The Temperament, Personality and Behavioural Traits of the Peruvian Inca Orchid
The Peruvian Inca Orchid is known as a couch potato. It prefers to be inside most of the time, lazing with its owner.
It is often a reserved and quiet dog, that loves attention and socialization but is minimalistic at times with its voice itself.
It is known as a trickster, that will do anything to make its family laugh.
It is easy to both train and maintain, with the only difficulty being the extra skincare needs for its brittle skin.
It is a sensitive dog so that it will need plenty of positive reinforcement.
It is known not to do well with younger children due to their roughness, and it is wary of strangers at first but does eventually warm up.
What Are the Dietary Needs of the Peruvian Inca Orchid?
Although not a large breed, the Peruvian Inca Orchid will still consume a hefty amount of food each day. It is recommended you feed it 3 cups of food a day, averaging around $50 a month.
It is a slim, brittle dog, so you should stick primarily to dry foods for nutrients and easy consumption.
On warm days, make sure it drinks plenty of water and that you leave a large amount out when you leave the house.
What Are the Physical Requirements of the Peruvian Inca Orchid?
The Peruvian Inca Orchid is known as a lazy dog and therefore will not need a large amount of exercise daily.
It is estimated that it will need around 20-30 minutes of physical exercise a day, with most of that about playtime inside and brief walks.
If you are taking the Peruvian Inca Orchid outside, it is important to apply the right types of skin cream and ensure that it is neither too hot, or too cold. It will do best outside on a cool day.
Due to its insider nature, the Peruvian Inca Orchid lives well in apartments provided it has ample space to stretch.
The Health Concerns and Issues of the Peruvian Inca Orchid
As I’ve stated multiple times, the Peruvian Inca Orchid is a sensitive dog and is prone to various health concerns and issues.
With a dog like this, it is important to schedule regular physical examinations and check-ups on its skin.
Health issues include:
- Teeth loss
- Irritable Bowel Disease
- Skin Lesions
My Final Thoughts on the Peruvian Inca Orchid
Overall, the Peruvian Inca Orchid is not the dog for the outgoing.
It’s a loving introvert that thrives in an apartment situation and will prefer an owner that prefers to hang opposed to run.
If you’re a first-time dog owner, and you have the time to socialize, the Peruvian Inca Orchid will be the perfect, unique companion for you.
- Peruvian Inca Orchid: Before You Buy
- How Much is a Peruvian Inca Orchid Puppy?
- How Do I Find a Reputable Peruvian Inca Orchid Breeder?
- 3 Little-Known Facts About the Peruvian Inca Orchid.
- The Physical Traits of the Peruvian Inca Orchid
- How Big is a Full-Grown Peruvian Inca Orchid?
- What is the Life Expectancy of the Peruvian Inca Orchid?
- The Temperament, Personality and Behavioural Traits of the Peruvian Inca Orchid
- What Are the Dietary Needs of the Peruvian Inca Orchid?
- What Are the Physical Requirements of the Peruvian Inca Orchid?
- The Health Concerns and Issues of the Peruvian Inca Orchid
- My Final Thoughts on the Peruvian Inca Orchid