All dogs deserve to play, but what do you do when you can’t be there to supervise them 100% of the time? One of the most popular solutions to this common problem is the humble dog playpen. Big or small, indoor or outdoor, dog playpens allow our canine companions to do their thing when we can’t be there to keep them out of trouble.
Unfortunately, many commercial dog playpens are expensive. Even if you find one within your budget, there’s a good chance that it won’t fit your living space or suit your dog’s specific needs.
The best way to solve these problems is by building a DIY dog playpen of your very own. Here are five plans to get you started:
1. Custom Indoor DIY Dog Playpen, From Instructables
Instructables offers detailed instructions on how to build and install an indoor playpen with just a few simple supplies found at most hardware stores. Not only will this DIY playpen keep your dog out of trouble around the house, but it also features a bottom that will protect your flooring underneath. If you position your finished playpen against an outer door, as done in the example, you can easily let your dog out to go potty whenever they need to.
2. Shaded Outdoor Dog Playpen, From DIY Network
In a perfect world, our dogs would be able to safely run around outside wherever and whenever they please. While that’s not the reality for most of us, DIY Network has an informative tutorial on how to build an outdoor dog playpen in as little as one day. These plans even include a covered corner so your dog can escape the hot sun or rain as needed.
- Bullet nose design provides 2x more concentrated striking force
- Particulate filled fiberglass core and shock absorbing collar helps reduce vibrations on impact
3. Quick and Portable Wire Dog Playpen, From Instructables
Another quick and easy way to build an outdoor dog playpen comes from Instructables. These plans feature affordable supplies, like wire livestock mesh, that are available almost anywhere and can be transported with ease. If desired, you can also install a metal gate to make entry and exit a little bit easier.
- The set includes: 8-inch groove joint, 8-inch and 6-inch slip joint, 7-inch linesman, 6-inch and...
- DROP FORGED POLISHED STEEL: Heat treated durable body construction
4. PVC Puppy Playpen, From Dreamydoodles
If woodworking isn’t your thing, then Dreamydoodles offers simple instructions for building a fully functional puppy playpen out of just PVC piping. This project is great for situations when you need to keep small dogs or puppies contained in one place, such as after a new litter is born.
- Double-faced solid rubber head delivers a softened positive strike
- High-strength Fiberglass handle core helps absorb vibrations
5. Playpen With Built-In Doghouse, From DIY Network
If you think that all DIY dog playpens have to look handmade, think again. DIY Network offers top-notch plans for building an enclosed doghouse/playpen combo that will look great in any yard. The extra-tall sides also mean that notorious jumpers and climbers will be secure inside their new playpen.
- 10" Compound Miter Saw
- Same tools. New name. Hitachi power tools has renamed to Metabo HPT
Giving your dog the space they need to run, jump, and play to their heart’s content doesn’t need to be expensive. By building your own DIY dog playpen — whether from wood, PVC, or something else entirely — you can create a pen custom-tailored to your home and your dog’s unique needs.
Which of these DIY plans will you try your hand at first?