Yorkies may be small, but as anyone who loves them knows, they think that they’re big dogs! Despite the way they picture themselves, they need food with small kibble pieces that are easy for them to eat. They also have high energy needs, so it’s important to have nutritious food.
If you’ve already started researching food options, you’ve no doubt realized that there are many choices out there. It can make it difficult to know which is best for your pup. We’ve done the hard work for you and curated a list of reviews of the best dog food for Yorkies. We’ve also included a buying guide so you know how to look for good dog food.
Read on for our recommendations.
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
The 6 Best Dog Foods for Yorkies
1. Purina Pro Small Breed Dog Food – Best Overall
Purina Pro Plan Small & Toy Breed Formula is our best overall choice because it’s a food made just for little dogs like Yorkies. The kibbles are small, and the food contains soft pieces of chicken. It also has a high nutrient density to keep up with the higher metabolic rate of small dogs, so your Yorkie will get the nutrition they need. The food contains live probiotics to support immune and digestive health. It’s made with high-quality ingredients, and chicken is the first one listed. It also contains vitamin A and linoleic acid, which is an omega-5 fatty acid. Both elements help promote healthy skin and coats.
If you have a picky eater, your pup may refuse to eat this formula, so be sure to buy a small bag at first to see if your Yorkie likes it.
2. Pedigree Small Dog Food – Best Value
Pedigree Small Dog Food is the best dog food for Yorkies for the money because it contains no potentially harmful ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, and added sugar. The food consists of small kibbles to make it easier for Yorkies to eat. It comes in roasted chicken, rice, and vegetable flavors to make it more appealing for picky pups. It’s enriched with omega-6 fatty acids and zinc for healthy skin and coats. It has added vitamin E to support your pup’s immune system. Pedigree ensures that its food contains all the vitamins and minerals that small breed dogs like Yorkies need to be healthy.
In certain sensitive dogs, this food may cause digestive issues. Be sure to always switch your dog to a new food slowly and test out a small amount at first.
Royal Canin Adult Dry Dog Food is specially made to meet the nutritional needs of Yorkies 10 months old and older. It has kibbles shaped specifically for a Yorkie’s small muzzle. The food contains a combination of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, as well as biotin to maintain the silky coat that Yorkies are known for. It has specific nutrients to support long life expectancies. Yorkies can sometimes be picky eaters, but Royal Canin has made its food extra palatable.
This is one of the pricier foods on our list due to the specialized formula. Also, brewers rice is the first ingredient instead of meat.
4. Royal Canin Puppy Dog Food – For Puppies
Royal Canin Puppy Dry Dog Food is specially made to meet the nutritional needs of your Yorkie puppy from 8 weeks to 10 months old. It contains an exclusive complex of antioxidants, including vitamin E, to protect a puppy’s developing immune system. The kibbles are small, so your Yorkie can eat them easily. The food contains a combination of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, as well as biotin, to help your Yorkie grow their famous silky coat. It also has high-quality proteins and probiotics for good digestive health.
This is one of the more expensive choices for dog food on our list due to the high-quality ingredients. Yorkies can be picky eaters, and some won’t eat this food.
5. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food is specially made for small breed dogs like Yorkies. The food has tiny kibbles for small mouths to eat. For a Yorkie’s sensitive stomach, it has easy-to-digest ingredients. It also has a blend of omega-6 and vitamin E to support the Yorkie’s glossy coat. It contains an antioxidant blend for lifetime immune support.
In certain sensitive pups, it can cause digestive issues. Some Yorkies refuse to eat this formula entirely.
6. AvoDerm Dry Dog Food
AvoDerm Dry Dog Food contains a unique ingredient: avocados. These promote a healthy skin, coat, and immune system, which is especially good for Yorkies and their silky hair. The food contains high-quality meat, wholesome grains, and vitamins for good health. It has bite-size kibbles for small breed dogs like Yorkies. There are no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives that may cause allergic reactions.
In spite of the wholesome ingredients, some dogs can still have their skin allergies inflamed by this food. It may also cause digestive problems in some dogs. If you have a picky eater, your pup might not like the taste of this food.
When shopping for the best food for your Yorkie, there are certain things you should look for and certain ingredients to avoid.
What to Look For
- Small-Sized Kibbles. Yorkies are small dogs and have small mouths and compact bodies. Smaller kibble pieces are easier for them to eat.
- Natural Preservatives. Vitamins such as mixed tocopherols can be used to preserve dog food without resorting to artificial chemicals.
- High-Quality Meats. This can include everything from grass-fed beef to free-range chicken.
- Fruits and Vegetables. Dogs, including Yorkies, are omnivores, which means that they eat fruits and vegetables just like we do. These are a great source of vitamins and minerals.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids. The best source for DHA, which is one of the most common omega-3 fatty acids, is fish oil. You may also see flaxseed listed as an ingredient.
- Food Specially Formulated for Toy Breeds. Yorkies are a toy breed with high energy and high metabolism. They need special nutrition to keep them healthy and strong.
What to Avoid
- Artificial Ingredients. This may include artificial colors and flavors that can cause allergic reactions in some dogs.
- Chemical Preservatives. These have also been known to cause allergic reactions and gastrointestinal problems in certain dogs.
- Corn or Other Ingredient Listed First. Meat such as chicken should be listed first on the ingredients list because protein is one of the most important nutrients for a dog.
- Inexpensive ingredients like corn are sometimes used in dog food to give it more substance, but these offer little nutritional value. These can cause your pup to have intestinal distress and even nutritional deficiencies.
Our best overall choice is Purina Pro Plan Small & Toy Breed Formula Adult Dry Dog Food because it’s made just for little dogs like Yorkies. The kibbles are small, and it has a high nutrient density to keep up with the higher metabolic rate of small dogs.
Our best value choice is Pedigree 10084166 Adult Dry Dog Food because it has all the vitamins and minerals that your Yorkie needs to be healthy, including vitamin E, zinc, and omega-6. It doesn’t contain potentially harmful ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, or added sugar.
We hope that our list of reviews and buying guide for the best dog food for Yorkies have helped you find the ideal option for your little pup.
Featured image credit: Pezibear, Pixabay
- A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
- The 6 Best Dog Foods for Yorkies
- 1. Purina Pro Small Breed Dog Food – Best Overall
- 2. Pedigree Small Dog Food – Best Value
- 3. Royal Canin Adult Dry Dog Food – Premium Choice
- 4. Royal Canin Puppy Dog Food – For Puppies
- 5. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
- 6. AvoDerm Dry Dog Food
- Buyer’s Guide
- What to Look For
- What to Avoid